There are some memories that one never forgets, there are tastes that always take you back in time and spread warmth in your heart, irrespective of how chilly (-10 degrees here ?) it is outside!
I’ve got this “Prawns and Drumstick Coconut Stew” recipe from my mamma, and like nearly all her recipes, this one comforts my very soul. Although I’m not a great fan of drumsticks, I know drumsticks and coconut are good friends, and when cooked in a stew with prawns, the result is an utterly delicious dish!
This is a mild and flavourful stew which is made wonderfully creamy by the addition of coconut milk. I prefer a thicker sauce but you can adjust according to your preference.
For vegetarians, simply omit prawns and just keep to drumsticks in coconut stew or feel free to add in carrots, potatoes, basically any veggie of choice.
Right! Let’s get the pan on the fire already!
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min
1. Onion- 1 medium sized, sliced thin and long.
2. Prawns- 18-20 medium sized, deveined, de-shelled and cleaned.
3. Drumsticks- 2 prepped drumsticks; cut in 2-2.5 inches. Around 15 pieces.
4. Tomato- 1 medium sized, sliced long.
5. Garlic- 3-4 flakes sliced thin and long
6. Ginger- 1-1/5 inch sliced thin and long
7. Coconut milk- 1 can (200 ml)or prepared at home from one coconut
8. Green chillies- 2-3 nos or as per preference. Slit lengthwise.
9. Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
10. Coriander powder- 2 tsp
11. Salt as per taste
1. Oil- 1 tbsp
2. Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
3. cardamom- 2-3 pods
4. Bay leaf- 1
5. Curry leaf- 2 sprigs
1. Boil water (2 cups) in a vessel and add onions, drumsticks, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chillies, ginger and garlic and cook for 10 mins on medium-high heat.
2. Then add sliced tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add prawns and cook for 8-10 minutes. Lower the heat and then add coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes and then turn the stove off.
4. In a saucepan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds and add cardamom, bay leaf and curry leaves. Then quickly add to the curry and stir.
Serve hot with rice and enjoy!
Gud One. Non veg avial….
thanks a lot! yes a lot like non veg avial
Looks too tasty 🙂